Saturday, September 15, 2012

Addition Strategies

At the beginning of the year in third grade we review addition strategies. My goal is not to make students use a particular strategy, but to give some common language to efficient strategies so that, in the future, we can discuss them using terminology we all know. I pose an addition problem, students solve, and I have several students share their strategies with the class. I tell them that there are many fast, smart strategies to use, but that they can use the strategies on this chart when they need to. I refer back to it when I am helping a student that is using a slow or ineffective strategy for the next few months.
Addition Strategies- many names are from Bridges math curriculum
I heard somewhere, I don't remember where, that we don't really memorize many addition facts even as adults. We just do a fast mental strategy. I doubted that at first, but I think it is true. Think about 8 + 6, for example. I don't have it memorized, but I think 8 + 2 = 10, then I add the 4 left in the 6 to =14. I do all that in less than 2 seconds. So repeating or drilling the fact over and over without having a fast strategy in place first may be a waste of my students' time.

2 comments:

  1. Love the anchor chart. What a great thing for kids to see! I'm your newest follower and love your blog design. Megan is amazing!
    Katie
    I Want to be a Super Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to break it down into identifiable strategies the kids understand...I notice my kiddos this year are able to utilize these strategies but don't always have the verbal explanation for their strategy.
    Amanda
    Rock Stars At Work

    ReplyDelete